Here’s the email that went out this AM. Make sure you sign up and receive the best of Boston tech everyday.
It’s been an insanely busy week over here which is why we missed one yesterday. We did however have a good chunk of it done – just never pulled the trigger. Check out what we would have said yesterday after today’s episode.
We hope that you enjoy the show!
Breaking This AM – We film on Thursday afternoons so these deals missed the cut.
- General Assembly Raises $35M to Fuel the Expansion of its Skills-Based School
- Wayfair Lands $157M in Series B to Propel the Company Towards its IPO
Here’s the draft of yesterday’s beat that never went live. I blame Walt Doyle of Highland and Mark Hatfield of Fairhaven – thanks for dinner though guys.
The Big One
Greg: Spotify has acquired somerville based Echo Nest for an undisclosed sum. This is HUGE news for Boston as Spotify’s largest U.S. engineering office will be right here. Echo Nest has raised about $25 million from Matrix (AntRod’s first check as a VC), Commonwealth and Norwest. Echo Nest had been powering Spotify for a while – along with a number of its competitors, Rdio, I Heart Radio, Twitter Music, etc – and the acquisition will create a music powerhouse. Echo Nest was founded back in 2005 out of the MIT Media Lab. Big day.
Greg: Good scoop from Scotty. Database startup Hadapt sheds about 25 percent of staff.
Also, it looks like Objective Logistics is up to something with former Boloco CEO John Pepper. Clear overlap here in interests, we’ll see what comes of it.
Boston UpFront Tickets On Sale Now! [Event]
Greg: This shit is ridiculous. Dating Startup Wants to Fly Surplus NYC Women to Meet San Francisco Men. Here’s more, “They’re trying to raise $10,000 so they can transport hordes of single women over Memorial Day Weekend. The company will then plan dates between the women and men, and throw two parties for participants.”
- Boston Tech Strong: An Interactive Map of City Startups & Their Impact
- Boston’s Brightest Meet at District Hall for Tech on Tap [Images]
- ‘Air Traffic Control for Your Cargo’ Startup Scores Seed From Andreessen Horowitz, Plans for Series A
- Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg to Speak at Harvard’s 2014 Commencement
- Creative Co-Living Space Krash Raises Funding To Expand Into 7 New Cities & Nurture Alumni Network
- Black Students Show ‘I, Too, Am Harvard’ in Powerful Photo Project
- This One Thing Will Make You Look ‘Hotter’ on Facebook [Study]
- #BOStoAUS: Which Boston Tech Leaders to Follow This Week at SXSW
- Boston’s Own Online Soap Opera Aired Today and It’s Already Addicting
- Mysterious MIT-Born HUVr Board is Only a Hilarious Hoax [Video]
- Get A Room … at A Boutique Hotel in Boston With Startup Stayful
From Kevin: “You guys aren’t funny.”
Greg: Actually we are.