For the first time in a couple of months, our monthly roundup of Boston companies that were acquired or closed their office is shorter than usual. We counted nine M&As in July and twelve in August; in September, we tracked only five of these deals.
However, the acquisitions announced in the past month involve some well-known names in the Boston tech industry, including Bullhorn, Mobee and Visual IQ. By checking our past lists, we also couldn’t help but notice that HubSpot acquired a startup a month in the past 90 days – Kemvi in July, Evolve in August and Motion AI in September.
As a matter of fact, we didn’t include in this September roundup the acquisition of TaskRabbit by Scandinavian giant Ikea because use the company left Cambridge for the Bay Area in 2010.
Here are the BostInno Departed from September 2017:
• As far as we could tell, no startups shut down in September.
The Merged and Acquired
• Cloud Technology Partners, a provider of cloud and software services for enterprises that we visited as part of a recent Office Envy, will be acquired by Hewlett Packard Enterprise. Terms of the deal will not be disclosed.
• Bullhorn, a CRM platform provider for recruitment firms, announced it has acquired Netherlands-based Connexys. The company has 300 customers across the Netherlands, Germany, France and Belgium.
• Mobee, a Boston-based retail intelligence startup, has merged with a West Coast company working in the same space called Quad Analytix. The combined entity will be called Wiser Solutions.
• HubSpot announced it has agreed to acquire Motion AI, a Chicago startup that creates artificial intelligence chatbots for businesses. This marks HubSpot’s third acquisition of an AI startup after buying Kemvi and Evolve earlier this year. Terms of the deal with Motion AI were not disclosed.
• Marketing intelligence company Visual IQ is getting acquired by New York TV ratings giant Nielsen. Visual IQ has over 300 employees globally and had raised $15 million in funding, most of which came from Boston’s Volition Capital.
If you think there’s a startup missing from this list, email me at email@example.com