The owner of a dog hotel in South Boston is warning pet lovers to be wary of what their four-legged friends eat while out for a stroll after someone alerted her that several dogs in the neighborhood allegedly got sick by what she claims were treats laced with poison.

Jane Fulton, who runs Fenway Bark, said she recently received an email from someone she “trusts very much” which claimed two Chihuahuas in the South Boston area were killed after eating bits of food wrapped around rat poision.

“We are concerned about all the dogs in South Boston and about our clients,” said Fulton. “We have reached out to them in the local zip codes specifically to let them know there is a risk.”

Fulton said the email claimed someone threw hamburger and peanut butter “tainted with rat poison” over fences in two yards on N Street.

She said the bits of food were also spread in Farragut Park.

“I know they have had issues in Southie before about [dog] waste not being picked up, but this is just cruel and wrong,” Fulton told BostInno.

In a Facebook post put up on the company’s website on Tuesday, Fulton wrote “I hate to pass on messages like this but some creep(s) in South Boston are POISONING dogs.”

The post was shared amongst dog lovers and Fenway Bark customers more than 100 times, and garnered a bunch of shocked responses.

“Rotten trashy people,” one person wrote.

Fulton also used the company Twitter account to get the word out about someone allegedly trying to off peoples’ furry friends.

She urged people to be alert about what their pets eat when going for walks, just in case the rumors circulating around the South Boston neighborhood are true.

“I really have a wonderful customer base that spreads the word…they are very in tune, so hopefully they will help get the word out quickly,” she said.

BostInno contacted the Boston Police Department and asked if any police reports have been filed, but they said none have as of yet. However, police are now investigating the matter and talking to residents in the surrounding community.

In the meantime, Fulton said if a dog does eat something suspicious and becomes sick, owners should take the pet to the veterinarian’s office immediately.

“It is treatable, so if dogs do get sick, immediately call a vet,” she told BostInno. “They have to get treatment.”

This isn’t the first time the Boston-area has seen people with a pet-peeve for dog owners try and poison pups.

In September officers arrested 53-year-old Kenneth Hyland, a landscaper, who witnesses said was soaking hot dog chunks in anti-freeze and poisoning dogs in Charlestown.