Transportation officials said Wednesday that the driver of the Green Line train that crashed into another trolley docked at the Boylston Street Station last week was “solely responsible” for the accident and that he would be fired.
According to acting MBTA General Manager Jon Davis, the driver, who he wouldn’t name, admitted to having a second job and told officials investigating the cause of the crash that he had worked an eight-hour overnight shift before reporting to the T to drive the Green Line trolley.
The employee allegedly worked from midnight to 8 a.m. prior to starting his morning shift with the T.
“It is clear that this individual didn’t have a sufficient rest period [before] operating the Green Line passenger trolley,” said Davis.
Davis would not say what the trolley driver’s other job was, calling it “irrelevant,” but said he neglected his duties as an employee for the MBTA.
“He violated the fitness for duty [rules]…and making sure our passengers and employees were safe on our system,” said Davis.
The crash, which sent 37 people to the hospital with minor injuries, caused $500,000 in damages to T equipment, according to officials.
“[He] will never operate a T vehicle again,” Davis told reporters during a media briefing about the investigation on Wednesday.
Davis called the driver “inattentive,” and said he was “solely responsible” for last week’s accident.
The former MBTA employee did not disclose the fact that he had a second overnight job to the transportation agency prior to the crash.
More info on the crash, including the video, is below the photos.
Officials from the MBTA released footage of the crash last week, a day after the accident occurred at Boylston Street Station, which sent roughly 37 people to the hospital.
According to officials, on Thursday, 35 passengers and two T operators that were on board the trains were sent to the hospital with injuries.
Nine of those passengers were put on stretchers and stabilized and sent to local hospitals.
Information about what caused the train collision was unknown until Wednesday, but T officials said last week that they ruled out track issues and signal problems as the cause. The operator of the vehicle became the main target of the T’s investigation. At the time of the crash, however, officials ruled out the use of a cell phone or drugs and alcohol as the cause of the accident.
Immediately after the crash, dozens of passengers were rushed out of the underground train stop and officers quickly cordoned off the area.
Emergency responders from the Boston Fire and Police Departments as well as EMS workers and Transit Officers were on scene.
Boston EMS Chief James Hooley said at the time that all of the reported injuries were “minor,” and were mostly back and neck injuries.
Bob Bates, who was a passenger on the trolley that was docked at the station and rear-ended by the incoming train, said all of the sudden he felt a “tremendous bang.”
“That’s all I remember,” said Bates right after the crash. “All I remember is we left Park Street and there was this tremendous impact, this bang, and we all just hit the floor.”
A spokesman from the MBTA told BostInno this week that the transit agency has no predictions on whether legal claims will arise from last week’s accident, noting that no passengers were hospitalized for an extended period of time.
An effort to cap tort claims at $100,000 for those involved in T accidents did not receive legislative approval last year , and the MBTA is currently dealing with a handful of lawsuits, stemming from a Green Line crash in 2009, where an operator who was admittedly texting his girlfriend drove a trolley into the back of another vehicle causing millions of dollars in damage.