Following in the wake of his wins over Denver and Baltimore, Boston Mayor Tom Menino is once again hedging his bets on a Patriots’ win. According to a joint press release, Menino and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg are placing a “friendly wager” on Sunday’s Super Bowl rematch between the Pats and the Giants, with one family from the winning team’s city winning an all-expenses paid trip to the losing city.
According to the release,
If the New York Giants beat the New England Patriots a winning New York family (up to four people) will fly round trip via Delta Shuttle to Boston, where they will enjoy:
- Two nights in a suite at the Ritz Carlton
- Dinners at Legal Seafoods Harborside and the Top of the Hub, located at the top of the Prudential Tower.
- Box seats for a performance at the Citi Performing Arts Center
- Box seats to either a Bruins or a Celtics game (schedule permitting) at the TD Garden
- A behind-the-scenes tour of the newly expanded Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- A free Duck Tour
- A photo with Mayor Menino
- VIP tour of the personal diaries of John Adams, which inspired the HBO series, at the Boston Public Library, the first publically-support free city library in the world.
- VIP tour of the Samuel Adams Brewery in Jamaica Plain
If the Patriots defeat the Giants, then a winning family from Boston will fly JetBlue to New York and experience the best of New York City, including:
- A two-night stay at Grand Hyatt New York
- Four tickets to the Phantom of the Opera, celebrating its 10,000th performance right after the Super Bowl
- Dinner for 4 at the Russian Tea Room
- Lunch or Dinner for 4 at B.Smith’s
- Four club tickets to the Knicks and Rangers (schedule permitting)
- Ride with the captain on Statue Cruises to Liberty and Ellis islands with a VIP tour of the Statue of Liberty crown and museum with lunch
- A VIP tour of the new American wing at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- A tour of the Brooklyn Brewery
“I have a lot of faith in the Patriots. They carried us this far, and I hope they’ll carry the Vince Lombardi Trophy right back to Boston,” Mayor Menino says in the release. “But either on the field or off, the City of Boston wins by being able to showcase some of the best our great city has to offer.”
OK, that’s PR speak if we’ve ever heard it. No one wants to showcase all “our great city has to offer” to an obnoxious New York family visiting the Hub in their ugly Giants jerseys and annoying accents. Screw that.
But of course, that’ll never happen. The Pats will dominate on Sunday and one lucky New England family will proudly be wearing their No.12 TB jerseys all across NYC. An online drawing will be held after the Super Bowl to determine a winner of the contest. I’m currently working on rigging the system to have that lucky winner be me, though, so don’t get your hopes up.
Back in 2008, Menino and Bloomberg also made a Super Bowl bet, wagering hundreds of pounds of clam chowder, pizza, burgers, cakes, hot dogs, Dunkin Donuts and Boston cream pie on the winning team. While that all sounds delicious, Menino was smart not to bet anymore food, seeing as already has 40 pounds of steak from the Pats win over the Broncos and a whole bunch of crab cakes from the Ravens loss two weeks ago.
Can’t wait for Sunday. Go Pats!