This Saturday, November 3, is National Sandwich Day, and in honor of this glorious holiday, two local restaurants and one local food truck are going head-to-head in a battle to win the popular vote for best sandwich in Boston at the Second Annual National Sandwich Day Face-Off.
Hosted by Chez Henri, the event includes a three-course meal, featuring an appetizer, entrée and dessert from all three sandwich-making restaurants.
At last year’s face-off, the crew of Roxy’s Grilled Cheese took the title, edging out the competition with their melted, oozing Mighty Rib sandwich. Owner James DiSabatino says his team plans on doing exactly what they did last year to win it on Saturday: “Make the best sandwich! Or have my Mom bring all her friends and stuff the ballot box.”
All Star Sandwich Bar will certainly up the competition this year in both team experience and overall taste. “We got involved because last year’s title comes with an asterisk,” says a rep from All Star Sandwich Bar. “You can’t consider yourself a champ unless you beat us.”
Last year, diners voted on each dish individually, but this year, Beth Schunke, General Manager at Chez Henri, says that was “a little sketchy.” Instead, this year, the meals will be decided on by an overall best of the three.
Tickets to the National Sandwich Day Face-Off are $42, and trust me when I say you’ll definitely get your money’s worth at this competition. Tables are available beginning at 1 p.m. on Saturday, November 3.
Check out the menu below, and may the best sandwich win!
Starters (choice of):
- Crostini with Roasted Eggplant Puree, Sheeps Milk Feta and Garnished with Spicy Pickled Apricots, Micro Herbs & EVOO [ALL-STAR]
- Duck corn dogs w/ sour cherry gastrique and roasted acorn squash [ROXY’S]
- Traditional “mini” French Onion Soup- with garlic Croute and Stringy Gruyere [CHEZ]
Carnivore Entree (includes one each of the following):
- Buttermilk Cornmeal Fried Bay Scallops with Shaved Endive, Fresh Cucumber Mango Relish and Avocado Crema on a Buttered & Grilled Brioche Torpedo Roll [ALL-STAR]
- Mighty Rib Melt (2011 Sandwich Day winner) fontina, braised short rib, caramelized onion grilled cheese [ROXY’S]
- Grilled Cuban Sandwich with Slow Roasted Pork, Ham, Gruyere, Cornichon & Chipotle Aioli [CHEZ]
Vegetarian Entree (includes one each of the following):
- Smoked Mushroom & Jackfruit “VEGGIEloaf” with Sharp Cheddar, Red Fresno Chile Slaw & Mustard BBQ Sauce on Grilled Brioche Roll [ALL-STAR]
- Roasted Curried Vegetable Mac and Cheese [ROXY’S]
- Veggie Cuban with Grilled Vegetables [CHEZ]
Dessert (choice of):
- Bourbon-Pecan Cheesecake “Sandwiched” Between 2 Chocolate Chip Cookies drizzled with warm Chocolate Sauce [ALL-STAR]
- Apple Pumpkin Bread Pudding with vanilla ice cream and root beer glaze [ROXY’S]
- Chocolate Tort with Guave Caramel and Habanero Peanut Brittle [CHEZ]