This week, you can escape that usual panic of dashing back to your car before the meter runs out. In the spirit of the holiday season, all non-public safety parking tickets issued between Thursday, November 29 and Saturday, December 1 will be absolved by donating a toy to the city’s annual Toys for Tots campaign.
Courtesy of Mayor Tom Menino, the 19th annual “Toys for Tickets” program accepts any non-violent, wrapped toy of equal or greater value than your parking ticket amount, completely clearing your name of the ticket. You must present a receipt of the toy purchase in order to be cleared.
Toys can be dropped off between Thursday, November 29 through Saturday, December 8, at the following locations and times across the city:
- Weekdays 9am -4pm in front of the Office of the Parking Clerk on the second floor of Boston City Hall.
- Weekdays 7am-11pm and Saturdays 8am-1pm at the BTD Tow Lot, 200 Frontage Road.
- Saturday December 1, 10am-2pm at the BTD Mobile Command Center, at the intersection of Washington and Milk Streets in Downtown Crossing.
- Saturday, December 8, 10am-2pm at the BTD Mobile Command Center, at the Samuel Adams Statue on Faneuil Hall Plaza.
The Toys for Tickets initiative began in 1993. Last year, the window of eligible tickets was the longest in the program’s history, lasting five days. During those five days, 119 parking tickets, totaling about $3,800, were resolved with toy donations.
“Toys for Tickets has been a hugely successful part of the city’s annual toy drive,” Menino said in a statement. “By offering those who have received a parking ticket a chance to give back to the community, we’ve created a positive experience for both the ticket payer and a Boston child in need this holiday season.”
So remember, it’s quite alright if you forget to pay the meter this week. After all, it’s for a good cause.
The following public safety violations are excluded from the Toys for Tickets program:
- HP Ramp
- HP-DV Parking Only
- Fire Hydrant
- Double Parking
- Fire Lane
- Less Than 20 Feet from an intersection
- No Stopping/Standing