The new A&E show “Southie Rules,” a reality series that follows around the Niedzwiecki family as they deal with the changes in their South Boston neighborhood, premieres Tuesday night at 10 p.m.
Months before the show’s debut, however, controversy surrounding the series boiled over, with business owners and locals decrying what they called a fabricated expose of one of the city’s most well known areas.
Of course, cast members have fought back against the accusations that the show is “fake,” speaking to news outlets about its authenticity, and reassuring residents that it won’t shed a negative light on the “Southie” neighborhood.
Cast members from the family, who all live together in a three-decker house, even took to Twitter to battle back against the barrage of media bashing, because like every good Hub resident rooted in South Boston, being loud and aggressive is important.
To prepare viewers for the “Southie Rules” premiere on Tuesday, BostInno compiled a list of things to watch out for, based on interviews and promotions for the show, and turned it into a drinking game for your amusement.
So, hit the “packy” for some Bud Heavies, as the Niedzwiecki family might say, (because, well, that’s what America expects us to say, according to network executives), and put on your Irish pride t-shirt—it’s time for the drinking rules for “Southie Rules.”
“Southie Rules” Drinking Game:
- Take a sip every time Someone Says “Wicked.”
- Take a sip every time Someone Forcefully says “Wicked Pissa”
- Take three sips every time someone says “Packy” or goes on a “Packy Run”
- Take a sip every time someone is drinking Dunkin’ Donuts, or the logo is shown.
- Take two chugs when they mention Starbucks taking over the neighborhood.
- Take a sip every time the Mom yells at her kids. Two sips if she says “shut up,” and three if she hits them.
- Take a sip every time someone is shown wearing a Scally Cap. Three sips if the hat is green. Five if it has a shamrock on it.
- Take two sips every time the family tells Devin “the Moocher” to get a job.
- Take a sip every time you see a Red Sox logo, or someone blatantly references Fenway Park.
- Take four sips every time the family goes on an adventure that is stereotypical for Boston tourists— i.e. Duck Boat Tour, Visit to Faneuil Hall.
- Take two sips whenever you see the MBTA or a Number 9 Bus.
- Take five sips whenever Irish paraphernalia is displayed, be it flags, or shamrock tattoos.
- Take a sip whenever A&E uses subtitles to explain what is being said.
- Drink every time a Boston celeb is named—one drink for the Wahlbergs, two for Matt Damon or Ben Affleck.
- Take five chugs when they mention “Townies” & six chugs when the parents say “When I grew up here.”
- Put back a swig when someone is “Goin’ to the bah,” which loosely translated means, “going to the bar.”
- Tip the bottle when the camera pans out on the Zakim Bridge, scans Carson Beach, or shows a view of the city skyline at night.
- Drink for 15 seconds if they play Dropkick Murphys.