With the holiday season in full swing, it’s officially time to dust off the old cookbooks and step into the kitchen to whip up your holiday recipes. But green bean casseroles, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie get boring year after year. Not to mention, who wants to eat another turkey sandwich leftover in the weeks following that indulgent Thanksgiving Thursday? Instead, we decided to go the local experts — Boston’s food bloggers — to find Thanksgiving and more general holiday recipes that step outside the box, and put a unique spin on the classic Thanksgiving recipes we’ve come to know, love and eat way too much of every fourth Thursday in November.
We asked 30 local bloggers to share their favorite holiday recipes, and, as an added extra incentive, the best submission was promised to win a $50 gift card to Anthem Kitchen + Bar in Faneuil Hall. Because after all that hard work in the kitchen, nothing is better than an evening of letting someone else serve you food.
Without further ado, here are the top 10 recipe submissions from local food bloggers. The recipes are both original and spins on old classics, and all have been tested by the bloggers and determined to be crowd-pleasers for even the pickiest of eaters. From cocktails to cakes, savory to sweet, these are great recipes to carry you throughout the entire holiday season — not just Thanksgiving.
Check out the following slideshow of their dishes below, as well as links to the full recipes below the photos. Happy eating this holiday season, and congrats again to We Are Not Martha!
1. Megan Ginsberg, Delicious Dishings, Stuffed Mushrooms
2. Meghan Malloy, Travel Wine Dine, Brussel Sprouts and Apple Salad
3. Amy Breckenridge, Cupcakes & Couture, Champagne & Chambord Cupcakes
4. Colleen McConnell, Culinary Colleen, Turkey Croquettes
5. Emilie Bell, Scarborough Food Fair, Pumpkin Pecan Pie Bars with Vanilla
6. Jon & Lin, BeantownEats, Spiced Apple Bourbon Fizz
7. Jacki Morisi & Michelle Zippelli, Just Add Cheese!, No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Mini Trifle
8. Susan Anderson, We Are Not Martha, Spiked Egg Nog Doughnuts
9. Jen, Beantown Baker, Peppermint Brownie Mosaic Cheesecake
10. David Santori, Frenchie & the Yankee, Gluten-Free Turkey-Inspired Pumpkin Cake with rose water, hazelnuts and cloves
What are your favorite holiday recipes? Share in the comments!