While going out to eat is a normal routine for many us, it’s a different story for the 15 million Americans suffering from food allergies. Choosing a restaurant that not only serves allergy-friendly food, but pays close attention to food contamination becomes the number one priority when dining out for those with food allergies.
To help, AllergyEats, a Boston-based company dedicated to analyzing allergy-friendly restaurants nationwide, revealed its list of the most accommodating restaurant chains. The list delivers good news for New Englanders with a food allergy, as several highly-rated restaurants can be found here in the Northeast, including Legal Sea Foods and Bertucci’s.
Based on feedback from the food allergy community on the AllergyEats website and smartphone app, the following restaurants were rated solely on how well they’ve accommodated food-allergic diners.
Large (over 200 units):
- Red Robin Gourmet Burgers (4.47 rating)
- P.F. Chang’s China Bistro (4.45 rating)
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (4.38 rating)
- Outback Steakhouse (4.34 rating)
- Longhorn Steakhouse (4.30 rating)
Medium (50-200 units):
- Bonefish Grill (4.50 rating)
- Ninety Nine Restaurant (4.22 rating)
- Zpizza (4.22 rating)
- Uno Chicago Grill (4.22 rating)
- Bertucci’s Brick Oven Restaurant (4.13 rating)
Small (under 50 units):
- Burton’s Grill (4.88 rating)
- Maggiano’s Little Italy (4.76 rating)
- Not Your Average Joe’s (4.73 rating)
- Legal Sea Foods (4.65 rating)
- Papa Razzi (4.64 rating)
I used to live with someone who had celiac disease, and I know from experience how frustrating it can be to find an accommodating restaurant when dining out. AllergyEats is a pretty fantastic resource for those with food allergies, alleviating that frustration. The site boasts more than 575,000 restaurants and 425,000 menus nationwide, which food allergic diners can rate and search to find meals that meet their dietary needs. From nut allergies to gluten-free diners to lactose intolerance, there is literally something for everyone — even a blog that tells diners how to enjoy an allergy-friendly experience at Disney World.
The site and its app have been highly-endorsed by the food and health communities, including the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, Gluten Intolerance Group, Massachusetts Restaurant Association and Chef Ming Tsai.