And then there were four.
After 60 compelling matchups and over 60,000 votes, we are down to the Final Four of the 2017 Tech Madness challenge. And if you thought your NCAA bracket was busted, we have a 16 seed, a 14, a 13, and an 8 still dancing. Who will cut down the .net?
We’ve posted the updated regions below, as well as how to vote for who you think should make it to the Final Four. (At the bottom of this post, as always, we’ve added a breakdown of the bracket, with information on the seeding and the selection process).
Each matchup in Tech Madness is determined by community voting, with readers just needing to answer one question to decide who moves on – Who do you think will have the greater impact in five years?
And at the beginning of the challenge, we said that the 2017 Tech Madness Bracket was designed to serve as a snapshot of current state of the Chicago ecosystem, with representatives from every stage and every category. So, with that in mind, it’s no surprise that the Final Four mirrors the divirsity of the city’s innovation economy, offering up four promising startups operating in four unique industries, each at a different spot in their entrepreneurial journey.
The Final Four will end on Wednesday, 3/29 at 12PM CT; let’s take a look at the four that are still in and the updated bracket…
- (14): GetSet – A social edtech platform that connects incoming college freshman to peers facing similar challenges in order to curb high dropout rates.
- (16): Looplio – A new social app that allows users to easily edit and share videos, as well as collaborate on projects in real-time.
- (13): EatPurely – A meal delivery service, Eat Purely uses locally-sourced ingredients and cuts out things like cream, butter, chemicals and preservatives to bring chef-crafted organic meals to health-conscious eaters.
- (8): Supernova – A fintech platform that focuses on the effective management of both sides of the balance sheet – a user’s assets and liabilities together.
Click ‘View Full Bracket’ to see all 64 teams and click ‘Vote’ to select your Final Four victors. (You can vote below or on the original post; it’s the same embed and votes only count once per day). NOW LET’S GET TO THE FINAL FOUR!
THE INNO BRACKET BREAKDOWN:
- Everybody gets one vote per matchup per day.
- The bracket is designed to represent a snapshot of the entire 2017 tech ecosystem, complete with early-stage startups, public pillars, and representatives across every thriving industry in the city.
- Seeding is based primarily on funding. For bootstrapped companies, seeding is determined by headcount and revenue. For public and acquired companies, we used Market Cap and the cost of the acquisition, respectively. For more information on how the bracket was assembled, see our overview here.
- The seeding does NOT reflect an editorial statement on perceived value or “strength;” it’s just funding.
- Because of this, do NOT approach the bracket like you would the NCAA one. (For March Madness, it’s logical to automatically pencil in top seeds through the first couple of rounds). Here, every “game” is a toss up and we expect to see a number of early upsets. Last year, our Final Four consisted of a 13, a 7, an 8, and a 1 seed.
- These 64 companies were culled from the nominations that we received, as well as from internal research and reporting. There will be a number of companies not on this bracket that you believe deserve to be on here. And that’s great; that’s why this community’s so strong. Let us know who you think we missed and we’ll be sure to consider them for 2018.
- Finally, like last year, if at ANYTIME you find yourself getting worked up over any seedings, omissions, inclusions, wins, or losses, shoot me an email immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll go grab a beer, take a few deep breaths together, and talk about how silly it is to get bent out of shape over a game that’s architected specifically to generate excitement for the Chicago ecosystem.
The 64 Tech Companies:
REGION 1: 1. Braintree v 16. Cast21 | 2. Trunk Club v 15. Truss | 3. Livongo Health v 14. GetSet | 4. Outcome Health v 13. NuCurrent | 5. GoHealth v 12. FlashFrame | 6. Maestro Health v 11. Tanvas | 7. ParkWhiz v 10. Caremerge | 8. Tempus v 9. Procured Health
REGION 2: 1. Groupon v 16. Looplio | 2. SMS Assist v 15. Nextme | 3. SpringCM v 14. Semantify | 4. Uptake v 13. Dryv | 5. Sprout Social v 12. Jellyvision | 6. InContext Solutions v 11. Figo Pet Insurance | 7. Envoy Global v 10. Catalytic | 8. Civis Analytics v 9. UrbanBound
REGION 3: 1. Grubhub v 16. Tiz | 2. Echo Global Logistics v 15. EatPakd | 3. Raise v 14. Tovala | 4. Signal v 13. EatPurely | 5. VividSeats v 12. Shipbob | 6. Home Chef v 11. Tock | 7. SpotHero v 10. project44 | 8. FourKites v 9. Label Insight
REGION 4: 1. Gogo v 16. TrakNProtect | 2. Avant v 15. Victory Lap | 3. kCura v 14. Block Six Analytics | 4. Vibes v 13. Jiobit | 5. Tastytrade v 12. Machinio | 6. Shiftgig v 11. M1 Finance | 7. Reverb v 10. Timshel | 8. Supernova v 9. SwervePay
The Tech Madness Bracket Reveal Event Was Sponsored By: