Reuters just published a list of the 100 most innovative universities in the world, and a few local schools cracked the top 35.
Northwestern placed highest on the list out of any Illinois school, ranking at No. 13. Northwestern filed 298 patents from 2010 to 2015—one of the main factors in Reuters’ rankings—and 45 percent of its patents were granted.
The University of Illinois system ranked No. 25. Reuters highlighted a new Caterpillar-run data innovation lab at the University of Illinois Research Park, and EnterpriseWorks, a U of I tech incubator that turns faculty research into startups, among its innovation initiatives. The system, which makes up three universities in Urbana-Champaign, Chicago, and Springfield, filed 375 patents from 2010-2015.
The University of Chicago placed No. 33 on Reuters’ list, highlighted by the school’s Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. UChicago filed 153 patents from 2010-2015.
Other factors included in Reuters’ rankings include the number of articles in scholarly journals, patent success and percent of patents cited.
Here are the top 35 schools on the list. You can see the full rankings and methodology here.
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- University of Pennsylvania
- KU Leuven
- University of Washington
- University of Michigan System
- University of Texas System
- Vanderbilt University
- Duke University
- University of California System
- Northwestern University
- Pohang University of Science & Technology
- Imperial College London
- Cornell University
- California Institute of Technology
- University of Wisconsin System
- Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne
- University of Southern California
- University of Tokyo
- Johns Hopkins University
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Seoul National University
- University of Illinois System
- University of Cambridge
- Indiana University System
- Pierre & Marie Curie University – Paris 6
- University of Colorado System
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Oxford
- Purdue University System
- University of Chicago
- Osaka University
- University of North Carolina System