Each year, Deloitte ranks the 500 fastest growing technology companies across North America in its Fast 500 List. This year, five percent of that list features businesses from the D.C. metro area.
The 500 startups and businesses are selected based on percentage fiscal year revenue growth over a three-year period. Companies can submit directly to Deloitte and others are pulled from public company database research conducted by Deloitte.
To be eligible, a business must be at least four years old, headquartered in North America, have fiscal year 2013 revenues of at least $50,000 and fiscal year 2016 revenues of at least $5 million. Deloitte is also looking for a growth rate of 75 percent or greater between 2013-2016. Only businesses that fall in the biotech, energy tech, communications, digital content and media, hardware, medical devices, semiconductor or software space were considered.
D.C. area newcomers include GoCanvas, iHealthEngines, n2grate, Trinity Technology Partners, Perfecta Federal, CleanChoice Energy, Homesnap, Vox Media, Luna Innovations, CadmiumCD and KROLL Discovery.
This is also the fifth year that both Storyblocks and Optoro have appeared on the list.
This is certainly not the first time that D.C. has made a splash in national tech rankings in recent months. In October, Washington, D.C. came out on top in Kauffman’s Growth Entrepreneurship Index for the third year in a row. Washington, D.C. also ranked third, after San Francisco and San Jose, in Cushman & Wakefield’s top tech city report in June.
Here are the 25 companies that made it on Deloitte’s 2017 Fast 500 list:
- iLearningEngines– Ranking: 14, HQ: Potomac, Md.
- n2grate– Ranking: 80, HQ: Greenbelt, Md.
- Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.– Ranking: 85, HQ: Rockville, Md.
- Trinity Technology Partners– Ranking: 87, HQ: Greenbelt, Md.
- LookingGlass Cyber Solutions– Ranking: 105, HQ: Reston, Va.
- Perfecta– Ranking: 108, HQ: Springfield, Va.
- CleanChoice Energy– Ranking: 113, HQ: Washington, D.C.
- Snipp Interactive– Ranking: 114, HQ: Washington, D.C.
- Intrexon– Ranking: 153, HQ: Blacksburg, Va.
- GoCanvas– Ranking: 197, HQ: Reston, Va.
- PhishMe– Ranking: 200, HQ: Leesburg, Va.
- Homesnap– Ranking: 220, HQ: Rockville, Md.
- Vanda Pharmaceuticals– Ranking: 275, HQ: Washington, D.C.
- Insigma– Ranking: 278, HQ: Ashburn
- Lotame– Ranking: 282, HQ: Columbia, Md.
- eOriginal– Ranking: 294, HQ: Baltimore, Md.
- Vox Media– Ranking: 303, HQ: Washington, D.C.
- Thycotic– Ranking: 321, HQ: Washington, D.C.
- GTT Communications– Ranking: 347, HQ: McLean, Va.
- Luna Innovations Incorporated– Ranking: 366, HQ: Roanoke, Va.
- CadmiumCD– Ranking: 387, HQ: Forest Hill, Md.
- KROLL Discovery– Ranking: 427, HQ: McLean, Va.
- Sucampo Pharmaceuticals– Ranking: 462, HQ: Rockville, Md.
- Storyblocks– Ranking: 487, HQ: Arlington, Va.
- Optoro– Ranking: 493, HQ: Washington, D.C.